Submitted by Tamara Archer, Moms Health Zone
Health and fitness are a big concern as we face our New Year’s resolutions or commitments. By whatever name you use, let’s face it, continuing past the first week or month can be a challenge. Having go-to solutions that work and are delicious is a huge help in being successful when we’re adding/changing habits. In support of your health, here’s a delicious, hearty, healthy breakfast. It’s one of my favorite wintertime recipes ~ no instant mush here; only go for the real thing! If you’re like me and not a fan of raisins, you’re in for a treat with the tart cranberries.
Amazing Oatmeal -1 serving
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Whole Oats
- dash salt
- 2-3 tsp finely ground flax seed
- 4-6 walnuts halves, chopped or broken
- 1 tbls dried cranberries (orange flavored add a delicious pop and variety)*
- Maple syrup or raw Blue Agave (at Trader Joe’s)
- warmed almond milk (or other milk of choice) – ditch the microwave/ and use stove top pan
- warmed bowl – turn upside down on lid while oatmeal is cooking or warm on low in toaster oven
* try any other fruit of choice; small apple or pear chunks, bananas, blueberries etc.
Bring salted water to a boil; add oats and simmer till thickened, approximately 4-5 minutes. Stir in flax seed. Transfer to warmed cereal bowl, top with nuts, cranberriesand drizzle with syrup. Add warmed milk (stay away from the microwave/ and use your stove top) and enjoy!
You can’t go wrong with whole grains and blood sugar-steadying fiber so this makes oatmeal an easy and ideal breakfast. Additional benefits: it’s whole grain, gluten free, walnuts are brain food and much more, flax seed provides omega 3 oils and more, and cranberry provides antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer benefits. It’s wholesome, beneficial, and nutritious so get ready for a deeply gratifying delicious meal and welcome to the New Year!
For more tips, solutions, and strategies for healthy eating, see our other blogs www.MomsHealthZone.com/blog, join our community, and share your wisdom.